Mandate of the Ministry of Justice and Religious Affairs
1. The President Decree No 2 of 31/03/1999 that established the Ministry of Justice and Religious Affairs of the Punt-land state laid down its main mandate and functions. As stipulated in the above Decree the Ministry had the following mandates and functions:
To promote peaceful environment through access to justice and equality for all Puntland people
Improving legal system and social justice to inspire good moral and spiritual values and ethics.
The mandate of the Ministry of Justice is expansive; it includes, amongst others, justice system policy formulation, law reform, human rights, judicial affairs, prison (Custodial Corps) affairs, law professional affairs, women and youth in conflict with the law affairs, legal-aid, religious institution affairs, and high-level state and national security affairs
5. Core Values
|Humanity||Equal justice for all|
|Service||We keep our promises to our customers
We are sensitive to the needs of our internal and external customers
|We are trusted and trustworthy
We are honest and open with each other
We are honest and open with the public
We are impartial and non-partisan
|Respect||We value diversity in people
We treat everyone respectfully
|We are supportive of each other
We focus on our common purpose and goals
We value each team member’s contribution
6. Core Functions
- Regulation of Haj and Awqaf in Puntland state.
- Development of programs required by the Islamic da’wa, mosques, Islamic education centers and vulnerable people.
- Ensuring that Puntland people get justice specially the vulnerable groups such as women, children, minorities and IDPs.
- Oversight of the correction centers in Puntland to ensure that convicted people get their rights while prisons or correction centers.
- 5- Supervision and mentoring of the jails for how to deal with the prison inmates.
- Enforcement of alternative dispute solutions in all the communities including by the traditional norms and conflict resolutions.
- Development of the requirement and standards required from the Public notaries and ensuring the application of those standards