With the establishment of the Puntland State in 1998 there has been a rise in institutional building with the coming up of 19 Ministries. Among the key Ministries in Puntland is the Ministry of Justice, Religious Affairs and Rehabilitation
The Ministry of Justice, Religious Affairs and Rehabilitation is to ensure that Puntland as a State upholds the rule of law, good governance take charge of the legal due process for all citizens and residents. Ministry of Justice, Religious Affairs and Rehabilitation is tasked to provide services to all the offices of State Government on legal, judicial and constitutional matters and to defend the constitutional and judicial order in Puntland State of Somalia.
The Ministry is to provide legal advice and legal services to the Government, its institutions and to the general public and to support the mechanism that provides the legal framework for good governance. The Ministry has a long – term mission to promote and facilitate efficient and effective machinery capable of providing laws for good governance and delivery of services and legal advice to all bodies related to Government and the public.
As the institutions of Puntland grew in number over the time, the need for legislations and policies for specific institutions increased, thus the need for a central legal drafting unit for the Puntland state institutions, is important, in order to standardize all state laws and policies. Therefore, the Ministry of Justice is mandated to set up a legal drafting unit to oversee all this state legislation formation processes for uniformity.
The legal drafting unit is responsible for the overall management of issues relating to laws for the Ministry of Justice and state institutions and also provides a comprehensive legal advice to all Ministries in Puntland
Terms of reference
The responsibilities of the employee are as follows:
- Support the development and reform of the legal and judicial system. undertake assessment and making recommendations for sustainable improvements, design, proposes and implement projects to address key needs related to the administration of justices.
- Supervise the assistant technical advisor
- Manage, guides, develop and train staff under her/his supervision, including fostering a culture with in the unit of respect of national counterpart and involvement of local actors in judicial and legal system initiatives.
- Develop closes professional relationships with MOJRAR officials, prosecutors, other legal professionals, NGOs, united nations and civil society representatives, to facilitate joint efforts on legal and judicial system reform initiatives and to support their work.
- Develop policy structure and operating procedure to improve the functionality of the ministry including mission statement, code of conduct; standard operating procedure, workplace policies, annual work plan, project plans and proposals, recruitments policies,
- Support the ministry of justice to organizing monthly justice coordination meeting in Garowe, including all national and international stakeholders work in the justice and correction sector in the Puntland,
- Organizing national and regional conferences, seminars and organizing broad base participation of the community and public panels to discuss justice strategies for Puntland and human rights issues.
- Prepared monthly work plan and written reports to be submitted to UNDP on MOJRAR activities and achievements in relation to the administration of justice sector.
- Assist the MOJRAR to prepare financial and progress reports for letters of agreement, institutional contracts and other relevant agreements signed between MOJRAR and UNDP
Required Skills and Experience
The candidate should have the following qualifications and experience:
- Must have a law degree in legal drafting, especially International law and sharia Law or related field;
- The candidate must possess a master’s Degree in law;
- At least ten years relevant experience in providing legal services at least five (5) of which should be in the area of legal drafting;
- Familiarity with, as well as experience concerning, the instruments of Research and should be well versant with the local political context;
- Fluency in English, Arabic and the Somali language is essential. Excellent communication and presentation skills.
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please submit the following relevant documents:
- CV along with application letter and a copy of passport size photograph;
- Verified Copies of academic Certificates or transcripts;
- In your application letter, please indicate if you have particular expertise or experience related to the tasks above, as well as if you are available for three (3) Months assignment.